· Prof. Melkania has been an educationist, motivator, trainer, researcher, and research and academic administrator in the area of Environment, Ecology, Agriculture, and Natural Resource Management.
· He commenced professional career in 1977 as Lecturer Botany in Kumaun University Campus, Almora in Uttarakhand, and later served as In-charge, High Altitude Research Station (Agriculture Research Unit; DRDO), Auli, Joshimath; Assistant Professor in the Department of Environmental Science at G.B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar; Assistant Professor (IIM/IIT Scale) Ecosystem Management; Associate Professor Grassland Management and Professor (IIM/IIT Scale) Integrated Resource Management at Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal (MoEFCC, GoI); Professor Forestry and Dean Sponsored Research and Industrial Consultancy at North Eastern Regional Institute of Science and Technology (MHRD, GoI), Itanagar; Project Coordinator ICAR (Forage Crops) and Director ICAR-Indian Grassland and Fodder Research Institute, Jhansi (Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, GoI); Professor Environmental Science and Director Outreach and Human Resource Development at Apex Institute of Technology, Rampur; Senior Academic Consultant Forestry and Environment and Executive Director School of Sciences, and School of Agriculture and Development Studies at Uttarakhand Open University, Haldwani, and Professor Environmental Science at Gautam Buddha University, Greater Noida from June 2016 till date. At Gautam Buddha University, Prof. Melkania holds responsibility of Dean School of Vocational Studies and Applied Sciences, Dean Academics, and Dean Planning and Research, in addition to his services to the Department of Environmental Science as a Faculty member.
· During the last 45 years (1977 to 2022), the contributions of Prof. Melkania as Research Papers, Reviews, Chapters in Books and Popular Scientific Articles were well-received by International and Indian Journals, to name a few Biology and Fertility of Soil, Philippines Journal of Science, Current Science, Proceedings of Indian National Science Academy Part B, Biological Sciences, Indian Journal of Ecology, International Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Range Management and Agroforestry, Indian Forester, Science and Culture, Man in India, and Books Published by reputed Publishers, viz., Springer Verlag, Berlin; Springer Nature Singapore P. Ltd., Singapore; John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York; Chapman and Hall, London; Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, and Oxford and IBH Publishing Company, New Delhi.
· An Accredited Empanelled Expert/Consultant of the National Accreditation Board of Education and Training/ Quality Council of India (NABET/QCI), New Delhi for the Functional Area Ecology and Biodiversity, Prof. Melkania has contributed as Consultant on task basis for the World Bank, Washington DC.; Forest Research Institute- European Union Project on Ecological Goods and Services (ICFRE, GoI), Dehradun; Directorate of Watershed Management (Govt. of Uttarakhand), Dehradun; Narmada Valley Development Authority, (Govt. of Madhya Pradesh) Bhopal; National Hydro-Power Corporation Ltd., India; and infrastructure projects supported by JICA and ADB. Prof. Melkania has also contributed as Chairperson/Member SIA team for Social Impact Assessment (SIA) study of : (i) International Greenfield Airport Project, Jewar, Gautam Budh Nagar, (ii) Village Jewar Bangar of International Greenfield Airport Project, Jewar, Gautam Budh Nagar, (iii) Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor (Multi-Model Logistic Hub and Integrated Transport Hub), Tehsil Dadri, Gautam Budh Nagar, and (iv) Construction of six bridges under the Eastern dedicated Freight Corridor Project (Mini. of Railways, Govt. of India), Tehsil Sadar Dadri, Gautam Budh Nagar, Uttar Pradesh.
· As Visiting Faculty/Resource Person, Prof. Melkania has contributed for Environmental Planning and Coordination Organization, Bhopal; Disaster Management Institute, Bhopal; UGC-HRD Centre Kumaun University, Nainital, and Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur; Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra; Jiwaji University, Gwalior; Gurukul Kangri University, Haridwar; Institute of Rain Forest Research (ICFRE), Jorhat; Institute of Humid and Dry Deciduous Forest Research (ICFRE), Jabalpur; State Forest Research Institute, Jabalpur; Shri Siddhi Vinayak Group of Institutions, Bareilly; Rajshree Group of Institutions, Bareilly; and Central Himalayan Rural Action Group (CHIRAG), Sitla, Nainital. He has contributed as Expert to Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB), New Delhi for selection of scientists and research management position (Director) and similar national recruitment Commissions, and as Reviewer for sponsored research projects to DST, ICAR and MoEFCC. He served as member of the “Task Force for Firewood, VIII Five Year Plan” constituted by the Planning Commission for Department of Non-Conventional Energy Sources, Govt. of India, New Delhi.
· He is recipient of Merit Honour of Kumaun University, Nainital; Young Scientist Award of International Botanical Congress, Berlin; Scholarship of Cooperation and Development Ministry of The Netherlands; S.K. Seth Memorial Award of Society of Indian Foresters, Fellow of National Institute of Ecology, India; Fellow of Range Management Society of India; recipient of ESDA National Green Award – 2019 for contribution to “Sustainable Agriculture and Environmental Science” by the Environment and Social Development Association, New Delhi; Fellow of International Society of Noni Sciences, Chennai, and Honorary Fellow of Indian Society of Agroforestry, C/o ICAR-CAFRI, Jhansi.
· He has visited Germany, France and Nepal on international academic assignments.
· His passion is serving humanity through education and co-learning. He is often a Guest Key note Speaker in National and International Conferences, Universities, Schools, Colleges, Business Schools, LIONS and ROTARY Clubs, DD News, Radio Uttarakhand Open University (Hello Haldwani), and Akashwani U.P., M.P., and Uttarakhand.